Julia practices primarily in commercial, competition and criminal law. She appears frequently in the High Court of Australia, the Courts of Appeal and Criminal Appeal in New South Wales, Western Australia, Victoria and the ACT, the Full Court of the Federal Court and in lower Federal and State courts and inquiries across Australia.
Recent matters in which Julia has been briefed include:
- 2022 Inquiry into the convictions of Kathleen Megan Folbigg, as Counsel Assisting the Inquirer, Tom Bathurst AC KC (led by Sophie Callan SC);
- Shareholder class action in connection with the collapse of the Arrium Group, and associated transfer of proceedings in the context of the new Victorian group costs order regime, for KPMG (led by P Herzfeld SC);
- Complex and novel criminal proceedings in NSW and WA, led and unled, including in respect of allegations of:
- Cartel conduct;
- Overseas foreign bribery offences in connection with the Unaoil scandal;
- Breach of UN Sanctions in connection with weapons grade nickel export to Iran;
- Union official bribery;
- Proceeds of crime offences; and
- Insider trading.
- Proceedings against Meta, Inc. (Formerly Facebook Inc.) in connection with alleged misleading crypto-currency advertising on its platform (led by K Stern SC for Meta); and
- Numerous appeals in the Court of Appeal and Court of Criminal Appeal in NSW in respect of criminal and administrative matters, representing both appellants and Directors of Public Prosecutions (State and Cth), unled.
Julia also regularly advises in relation to regulatory (ACCC, ASIC, OAIC, etc), liquidator, and criminal investigations and proceedings for Big Tech, Big Four banks, Big Four accounting firms and other listed entities and executives, initial public offerings, compulsory examinations and witness preparation, and appeal merit.
- Doyles Guide: Leading Criminal Law Junior Counsel in NSW.
- Legal 500: Leading Juniors (Commercial Disputes).
Prior to commencing practice, Julia was Research Director to the Hon Chief Justice Bathurst AC and Tipstaff to the Hon Justice Hodgson AO of the Supreme Court of New South Wales. She has lectured in law and business at the University of New South Wales where she graduated with first class Honours in 2009. Prior to her legal career, Julia she worked in international humanitarian advocacy with a focus on genocide prevention. Julia is co-author of Uniform Evidence Law in Australia (LexisNexis Butterworths, 2020 3rd ed). She was admitted to practice in 2011 and called to the Bar in 2013.