Madeleine is a versatile junior counsel with a broad practice in commercial and public law. She regularly appears in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and Federal Court of Australia.
Recent matters in which Madeleine has been briefed include:
- Class actions: Acting for CFSIL and CBA in three separate superannuation class actions, and for Uber in a class action commenced by taxi industry participants.
- Regulatory: Acting for financial services providers (including NAB, NULIS, CFSIL and Macquarie Bank) in regulatory proceedings brought by ASIC.
- Revenue law: Acting for the Commissioner in Federal Court taxation proceedings against Crown Resorts.
- Commercial disputes: Acting for a lender group in Supreme Court (and subsequently appeal) proceedings against former directors and officers of Arrium, and in appeal proceedings for the former CEO and CFO of Dick Smith.
- Commissions of inquiry/inquests: Acting for NAB in the Financial Services Royal Commission, for a service provider in the Disability Royal Commission and as counsel assisting in an inquest.
Prior to coming to the Bar in 2015, Madeleine practised as a solicitor at Allens, Linklaters and the Australian Government Solicitor. She holds a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts from UNSW and a Master of Laws from the University of Sydney.